Knowing where competitors are located helps us:
- Identify barriers and/or areas that are densely competitive
- Determine which market areas you can most easily dominate
- Decide which prospective patients to target
- Avoid waste of marketing dollars
- Focus marketing investments for maximum ROI
Here are a few useful tips:
- Start a competitor market basket. Your dental team members that live in the practice market area can collect every flyer or advertisement received at their homes from dental/healthcare competitors.
- Patient facing staff should report their biggest competitive challenges or obstacles (ie Dr. Jones has Saturday appointments and we don’t) at weekly huddles.
- Survey your dental patients to find out what services they want – and what they don’t care about
- Read competitor reviews and look for 1-2 star reviews. What do people dislike about your competition? If you’re performing better that’s your opportunity to stand out as a unique option for your community.
- Brainstorm ways to improve practice operations and make strengths stronger
Competition can make you stronger.
Weaknesses can become opportunities for growth.
Know who you’re up against so you can give your prospects concrete terms with regard to why you are better. And know where your competitors are located so you can better allocate resources for better marketing results.