Use your dental marketing to build awareness & push growth momentum
“Direct mail doesn’t work in my area” says Dr. Dentalmarketingexpert
I can’t tell you how many quick-lipped dentists have brushed me off at trade shows over the years with the comment “direct mail doesn’t work in my area.” A few might have been right, but now I can tell you, based on the facts, most were dead wrong.
It turns out, it’s all about the practice, its past performance, and its commitment to growth.
Is your practice setup for dental marketing success?
If not, you ARE losing market share, patients, and profits … but how much?
We’ve analyzed hundreds of dental offices and their direct mail marketing campaigns and the data is clear: success begets success. According to our actual client data, the most successful dental offices have consistent trends in their key practice metrics.
Factors that play a critical role do not include your dental logo! Rather it’s all about core metrics – new-patient count relative to active-patient count, patient and new-patient values, population ratios, existing market share, and conveniences (like evening and weekend appointments).
If your practice hasn’t hit a certain level with your key metrics, it will take longer for it to build awareness and momentum from marketing efforts. Conversely, if your metrics are set for success, that means you could immediately start positively impacting production and profits.
Does this mean that a new practice or static or declining practice can’t benefit from direct mail? Certainly not. It simply means that the investment of time and effort needs to be adjusted to suit the practice situation.
Realistically, every dental office should be strategically executing a targeted direct mail campaign for the lifetime of practice. The ROI just keeps pushing higher as the patient lifetime with the practice grows.
Direct mail is the most predictable way to market. It works effectively on its own, and even better with a good digital marketing strategy in place. It’s one of the best ways to drive more new patients to a dental office – and over time it keeps pushing response momentum forward so that the practice has a sustaining thrust of inbound activity.
Sometimes getting started can be painful. If the practice hasn’t been marketing consistently or is experiencing a bit of a downturn, it can take time to build momentum. But there’s no doubt about it, direct mail builds awareness and pushes growth momentum. Here’s how effective a direct mail dental marketing campaign can be in differing locations:
City Centre Client. The most competitive market you can imagine!
- 1.8-mile radius: 200,000 people, 50,000 families, 271 dental practices, available families/dentist = 177.
- When the dentist hired Patient News over a year ago, they recognized they were in decline and at risk.
- We worked on the brand image and selected a “primed to respond” group of just 5,000 households.
- In 2018, over 30% of their new patients come from this highly competitive tiny slice of the area.
- In just over 1 year in this highly competitive market, they have exceeded a 3:1 ROI.
Suburban Client. Affluent area – difficult to penetrate.
- 10-mile radius: 220,000 people, 55,000 families, 49 dental practices, available families/dentist = 1100.
- This dentist decided to own the area 8 years ago and has had a strong mail plan in place ever since.
- Although we’ve tweaked targeting over the years, we’re after 25,000 “prime” households.
- In 2018, over 80% of their new patients are being generated from their neighborhood newsletter.
- Over the past five years, in this challenging market, they have achieved in excess of a 16:1 ROI.
Find out how your KPIs compare to industry averages. Take a free demo of our Marketing Performance Dashboard (MPD) Pro LIVE using your own data!
Call Patient News today and get connected. Make sure you’re setup for success.
It’s our mission to help you STAND OUT & Grow.